Contributed by Laura Stein
- 2 Murrays fresh split chicken breasts, excess fat trimmed
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 6 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
- black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 c. long-grain or basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle pepper
- 2-1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. white cooking wine
- 7 pitted green olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. drained capers
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried Italian herb mix or dried marjoram
- leaves from 1/4 bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped
Marinate breasts in the lime juice with the chopped garlic cloves and a few pinches of salt & a dash of pepper in a sealed container in the refrigerator at least 45 minutes or as long as overnight.
In a 5 quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, sautee the chopped onion and chopped pepper in the olive oil stirring over medium heat until the onion starts to look translucent. Add the rice to the pot and fry, stirring, a half minute before adding 2 T. tomato paste and 1/2 t ground chipotles and cooking a half minute more.
Add the water, cooking wine, and green olives. Put marinated chicken including the juices and the garlic on top and cover pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a very low simmer covered for 20 minutes. Mix in the capers and the dried Italian herbs or marjoram and simmer covered an additional ~10 minutes.
Remove from heat and leave covered for 10 minutes more to allow any remaining liquid to absorb. Take the chicken pieces out, stir most of the chopped cilantro into the rice mixture, and put it into a serving dish. Put the chicken pieces on top, garnish with remaining cilantro and serve.